LVM snapshot

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Tue Aug 17 04:42:55 UTC 2004

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 14:03, Paul Jakma <paul at dishone.st> wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, Russell Coker wrote:
> > I just tried rebooted that machine.  The LVM setup seems mangled and it
> > doesn't boot successfully.
>
> Ah yum. You need to make a copy of the most recent /etc/lvm/archive/
> lvm config (the lvm tools should archive automatically) and delete
> the snapshop. (just do a diff between that file and the previous
> archived lvm config to see which lines to delete), then vgcfgrestore
> the edited sans-snapshot file.
>
> Though, if your rootfs is on LVM you possibly will have difficulty
> completing above[1].

Thanks for the suggestion.  However I had already fixed the problem by booting
from an install CD and running lvm to remove the unwanted snapshot.

> 1. A good reason to not put root on LVM - your rootfs is your primary
> rescue partition.. Why would you need LVM for root fs anyway?

When I have multiple versions of Fedora on one machine it makes it much easier
to use LVM for root.  The 16 partitions issue might become a problem
otherwise, as well as the label "/" being used.  If I can't change sizes of
partitions or spread them around I will get fragmentation on my disk and have
odd spare gigabytes of disk space.

Finally, I work for Red Hat, it's my job to test out new stuff.  LVM isn't
really my area, but I've already found a couple of SE Linux issues related to
LVM that other people might have missed.

I probably wouldn't recommend other people use LVM root at this stage.