NFS problems?

Shahms King shahms at shahms.com
Tue Aug 17 17:13:58 UTC 2004

I've got a strange problem here...

We recently upgraded our file server from RedHat 9 to Fedora Core 2 and
as a result the NFS mounts which were previously working just fine,
started failing randomly.  I submitted bug #130165 to report it, but I
wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing similar problems.
Basically, after the mount succeeds you can use the mount from the
client for a little while but eventually every access to the mount will
return "no such file or directory" including accesses on the mount point
itself.  There are almost never any entries in any logs except for an
occasional "nfs_statfs: error = 2" on the client.  That's not very
helpful as error 2 is defined as NFSERR_NOENT (file not found).

The really strange part is that just having a shell open on the file
server in the affected directory solves the problem.  This happens with
every combination of mount and export options I've tried, over TCP and
UDP.  I'd love to use NFSv4 except the every file is owned by root:bin
which makes it unusable (there's a bug about this as well).
--
Shahms E. King <shahms at shahms.com>
Multnomah ESD

Public Key:
http://shahms.mesd.k12.or.us/~sking/shahms.asc
Fingerprint:
1612 054B CE92 8770 F1EA  AB1B FEAB 3636 45B2 D75B