upgrade to rawhide report

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Mon Aug 23 01:37:56 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-22 at 10:21 -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> - kudzu used eth1 and eth2 instead of eth0 and eth1 for the
>   two network cards; more oddly, sometimes it gets it right but
>   on reboot it seems to remove eth0 and add eth2. Also, it insists that
>   airo has to be eth0, and e100 eth1, while in FC2 it insisted the
>   opposite. I've been deleting modprobe.conf, hwconfig,
>   sysconfig/networking/devices/*, sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*,
>   sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/* and rebooting over
>   and over trying to get a correct config to be autodetected and
>   "stick", no luck yet

BTW, when using NetworkManager for desktops, do we really need network-
scripts and sysconfig/networking at all?

It feels to me like many problems I've had with networking have come
down to the fact that the configuration is in multiple places:
modprobe.conf, hwconf, network-scripts, sysconfig/networking;
it doesn't seem that well-defined how it all works... maybe I'm just
dense though.

One policy we might try to get closer to: clearly split autogenerated
information from manually-edited information, and machine-readable
information from human-only information such as scripts.

Havoc