upgrade to rawhide report

Peter Arremann loony at loonybin.org
Mon Aug 23 02:02:54 UTC 2004

On Sunday 22 August 2004 21:37, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-08-22 at 10:21 -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > - kudzu used eth1 and eth2 instead of eth0 and eth1 for the
> >   two network cards; more oddly, sometimes it gets it right but
> >   on reboot it seems to remove eth0 and add eth2. Also, it insists that
> >   airo has to be eth0, and e100 eth1, while in FC2 it insisted the
> >   opposite. I've been deleting modprobe.conf, hwconfig,
> >   sysconfig/networking/devices/*, sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*,
> >   sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/* and rebooting over
> >   and over trying to get a correct config to be autodetected and
> >   "stick", no luck yet
We've had the same issue with a couple of via-rhine and realtec 8139
cards... The problem seems to be that the driver does not allow you to
read certain things like mac address unless the interface is actually up.

I've hacked a kudzu version that - if the interface is not up, it will being
it up and then after the check, shuts it down again. I'm aware that that's
not a good solution and the code I put in there is probably among the
worst you've ever seen (it uses system without checking the parameters
and stuff like that) but it was only done as a proof of bug :-) We're using
it on a couple of systems here and if you just need to make it work without
worrying about how it looks, this might be ok for you.

Try http://www.dealrover.com/kudzu-1.1.22-1.1.centos.0.src.rpm and let me
know if that fixes your issue. Last time I brought this up on this list, I was
told that it wasn't a kudzu issue but that the driver needs fixing.

> One policy we might try to get closer to: clearly split autogenerated
> information from manually-edited information, and machine-readable
> information from human-only information such as scripts.

That would be a great idea but if you auto-generated information once, then
why not do it every time? Yes, it might add a milisecond to the startup time
but at least that would not litter your files with stuff that the system has
the ability to figure out by itsself anyway.

Peter.
--
http://www.dealrover.com