upgrade to rawhide report

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Mon Aug 23 03:32:09 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-22 at 23:01 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > > Not fine to a lot of servers, though. Sometimes you have multiple nics
> > > in a machine and you don't want certain ones even coming up if you can
> > > avoid it. Maybe they're a heartbeat backup nic

> > how simply having the driver loaded would cause problems for a backup
> > NIC.

> the network (especially switches) are suddenly aware of it.

Ok.  But certainly heartbeat is a special case - you have to do some
manual configuration, and whatever program we have to load drivers could
certainly provide a blacklist.

> bug or not, loading a driver just b/c a device is present is a good way
> to make A LOT of systems unbootable.

I've never had problems personally when I ran Debian, they use discover,
which IIRC autoloads modules for anything it knows about.

> I'll point you to thousands of
> video cards as an example.

The kernel already has blacklists for bad devices, sounds like that
needs to grow...