Some Python Packaging Questions

Jeff Pitman symbiont at berlios.de
Mon Aug 23 06:27:28 UTC 2004

Hi:

I was wondering what your opinions on a going-forward solution to
Requires in Python packages.  Especially with respect to the newer
"Provides: python-abi = %{pybasever}".

This previous thread is relevant:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-May/msg00698.html

Some packages are using this as a Requires:, but not all.  Fedora.us
implements a slightly different scheme in the spec template.  If you
were coming from a "forget what was done in past Python packaging"
viewpoint, would you move everything over to "python-abi"?  If not,
why?

Oh, and what's the difference between %{pybasever} and %{pyver}?  Is it
like this:

%{pyver} = 2.3.4
%{pybasever} = 2.3

Lastly, in the fedora.us spec template, I still don't see how
differentiation on the directories produces anything useful:
# For noarch packages:
Requires:       %{python_sitelib}
# For arch-dependent packages:
Requires:       %{python_sitearch}

On my systems, this will always expand to the same versioned library
directory. Does this have to do with 64-bit somehow?

Thanks for your input!

take care,
--
-jeff