upgrade to rawhide report

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Mon Aug 23 12:21:45 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 07:51 -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 10:59:59PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> > On Sun, 2004-08-22 at 22:14 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > > Not fine to a lot of servers, though. Sometimes you have multiple nics
> > > in a machine and you don't want certain ones even coming up if you can
> > > avoid it. Maybe they're a heartbeat backup nic

> > how simply having the driver loaded would cause problems for a backup
> > NIC.
> >
> > >  or maybe they're an
> > > onboard nic that plays hell with your bios.
> >
> > That just sounds like a bug.
>
> A few of those around. More typically the problem is that you end up on
> wireless when you wanted to be on ethernet

Because somehow your wireless driver kills your ethernet card or
something?

> and all of a sudden your
> perceived "I plugged the wire in" security is worthless

I don't think there should be any expectation of security from being on
a wired network, and certainly we should not design with that
assumption.  NetworkManager just prefers wired networks because they're
presumably faster.