upgrade to rawhide report

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Mon Aug 23 13:28:49 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 09:08 -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 08:45:57AM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> > > static addressing,
> >
> > If you want to do that, you just don't use NetworkManager.
>
> That then requires someone ensures every single script/option/method called
> by NetworkManager is also called by the old style paths.

Not sure about that.  The "old style" is very manual.  NetworkManager is
entirely dynamic and moving as much per-user as possible.  There are
probably things on the old path that shouldn't be used by
NetworkManager, or if they are used, it should just be as fallbacks.

> It also prevents
> numerous sensible real world usages like "dynamic IP on wireless but prefer
> my static IP on ethernet when at home" - classic configuration.

If you care enough to want a static IP address at home, then it
shouldn't be problematic to set up a DHCP server that has static IPs for
your MACs.

> > > cable modems,
> >
> > My experience is these are all just DHCP.
>
> Your experience is incomplete.

I am well aware of that :)