upgrade to rawhide report

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Wed Aug 25 02:34:41 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 08:37 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:

> Yep. I wasn't really talking about per-application profiles but something
> which the admins can set up beforehand for the user, eg list of settings
> (including but not limited to proxies) to switch to when switching between
> VPN and "normal" connection.

Hmmm.  This would probably be possible if we had a little smarts in
GConf.

> Which is fine for GConf applications but what about all the command line
> tools which read proxy config from environment variables which aren't
> really changable for the whole session once the user has logged in
> (assuming http_proxy and friends are set up in ~/.bash_profile or so)?

Fundamentally they're broken, proxy setting needs to be dynamic.
One politically feasible solution might be a little stub library like
"libhttp_proxy" that apps like wget could link to to determine the http
proxy.  By default it would just read the environment variable.  For
Fedora we'd have this library read out of GConf if available too.