/dev/uba errors

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Tue Aug 31 02:20:31 UTC 2004

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 14:37:11 +0100
Tim Waugh <twaugh at redhat.com> wrote:

> What on earth is /dev/uba? [...]

It's a block device driver for USB storage which I wrote recently.
Arjan enabled it in Rawhide, obviously to get reports such as yours.

>[...]
> Buffer I/O error on device uba, logical block 2
> end_request: I/O error, dev uba, sector 6
> Buffer I/O error on device uba, logical block 3
> end_request: I/O error, dev uba, sector 48
> etc. etc.

For some reason hald sometimes loses its mind when it sees ub.
I have no idea what is happening. I run FC2 with updates, everything
seems operating normally when I debug ub. I did not see us shipping
device nodes for ub, so if hald manages to open ub, it must be creating
device nodes on the fly, by reading /proc/devices or /proc/partitions.
Userland is some crazy stuff these days...

-- Pete