yum 2.1.0

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Tue Aug 31 14:20:57 UTC 2004

Peter Backlund wrote :

> On tis, 2004-08-31 at 03:16 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > Hi All,
>
> [snip]
>
> > I'm pleased(sorta) to announce yum 2.1.0. This is using the new xml-
> > based repository metadata (http://linux.duke.edu/metadata).
>
> [snip]
>
> Excellent work Seth!

Yup, I agree, and the progress bar when gathering package info is very
nice, as there is no longer this impression that something is "stuck in a
loop" there previously was after the "Downloading needed headers" message
;-) From some quick tests on a P2 400MHz, no major speed improvement for
me, though.

> When wil apt/upda2date read this metadata, and are there any mirrors
> that plan to use this metadata on fc2+updates any time soon?

The XML metadata has been supported on ayo.freshrpms.net ever since the
"stable" versions of createrepo came out. Fedora Core, Red Hat Linux and
Yellow Dog Linux packages can all be accessed using it. My current yum.conf
worked transparently with this new yum! ;-)

Seth: Attached is a quick patch to make --help's output more consistent and
80 columns friendly.
I've only tried updating, asking for a non-existing package and creating an
rss file... all worked fine.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang) - Linux kernel 2.6.8-1.521
Load : 1.04 1.06 1.00