Kernel 2.6.8-1.521 breaks Cisco VPN client...

Kim B. Nielsen kbn at daimi.au.dk
Tue Aug 31 18:19:28 UTC 2004

Bob Chiodini wrote:

>On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 13:34, Kim B. Nielsen wrote:
>

>>That's oddd...
>>
>>I've experienced my behaviour on two different laptops now. For some
>>reasen, the wireless has worked perfectly in both cases, but not the wire...
>>The laptops are from two different manufacturers (Dell and IBM) So
>>somehow I don't think it's a unique problem related to one specific
>>laptop or network card.
>>
>>/kbn
>>
>>Denis Leroy wrote:
>>

>>>I'm also using the Cisco VPN client here at Sun, to connect my laptop
>>>

>>>from home, but I'm not having the problem,  for me things are working
>>

>>>correctly with the 521 kernel, at least on the wire (never quited
>>>worked with the wireless card though). Though i mainly use ssh, dns
>>>resolutions certainly work...
>>>
>>>-denis
>>>
>>>--- "Kim B. Nielsen" <kbn at daimi.au.dk> wrote:
>>>

>Kim,
>
>Was the 521 kernel the first one to fail?  Also, what type of hardware
>are your two interfaces?  Does the wired interface work correctly on
>your local LAN without the VPN?  Which Cisco client are you using?
>
>Lots of questions and no real answers, sorry.
>
>This might be a long shot, but try running ethereal while in the VPN
>tunnel and look for errors associated with the UDP packets.
>
>Bob...

No, there was a kernel I tried on the first laptop i experienced the
problem on (Not this one), but I can't recall the kernel number and I
cannot
get in touch with the user who has the laptop right now.

The laptop I'm trying now,  is an IBM R51, with a gigabit ethernet port
(Intel I think) and an Intel Pro/2100 Wireless adapter.
The network on the wired interface works without problems when vpn is
off. The laptop is Centrino certified if that helps any.

I'm not at work right now, so I can't perform the ethereal test right
now, but I will tomorrow...

The cisco vpn client is version  4.0.4.B-k9. On the first laptop we
tried the latest Cisco client, and that doesn't work either.

Kim