adventures in booting

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Thu Dec 2 16:58:44 UTC 2004

On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 11:48:56AM -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> Not sure; the big boost really comes from reordering the files on the
> filesystem - running readahead (which takes 11 seconds) only gives me a

  I'm looking into this. a mix of creating a new directory, copying
the file there, then unlinking, linking and unlinking the new copies to the
old name is more likely to help. The problem is that it's also bad for
the current session where that change is done since you will end up with
multiple in-memory copies of all system libraries...
  It is gonna be a bit tricky to set-up, either as a post-install step
or very early on during boot. It's very easy to break too ...

Daniel