Kudzu and automatic detection

Kyrre Ness Sjobak kyrre at solution-forge.net
Tue Dec 7 19:24:26 UTC 2004

tir, 07.12.2004 kl. 13.19 skrev Charles Lopes:
> Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> >>So maybe it's actually time to at least default to ignoring certain
> >>types of legacy hardware by default?
> >>

> >or... if you find a ps.2 or usb mouse skip the serial probing.. the
> >chance of having BOTH a ps2 one and a serial one are pretty low after
> >all :)
> >

> Except if you happen to have both a mouse and a trackball. I have seen
> quite a few workstations equiped with a PS2 mouse and a serial
> trackball. It was quite a common setup for CAD stations just a couple of
> years ago.

A pc i administer has that setup. It has a (fairly broken) ps/2-mouse,
and an old ps/2 trackball connected. I haven't removed the mouse since
most users just stare at you when you tell them that the huge box
sitting besides the computer is used for the tasks as a mouse...

Yes i know... I *should* replace the mouse...

Now i didn't have any problem with starting system-config-mouse and
configuring the thing. It was quite easy, could even be done from the
console! :)

Now i would scream i suddenly wasn't able to hotplug a (ps/2 or USB)
mouse into my laptop and instantly start using it. I hear a windows
admin i know rumbeling over that his box'en dont do that... Very funny
when you have a lot of morons thinking "steal the mouse" is the worlds
funnyest game... While he and his users has to bloody reboot (well, its
windows after all), all i and my users has to do is bend over and
replace the plug, and continue working. That kindof takes the fun out of
it...

Kyrre