RFC: root/non-root bash prompts different colours?

Frank Pineau frank at pineaus.com
Thu Dec 9 16:44:51 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 11:38 -0500, Nick Bargnesi wrote:

> This is the best idea yet, drop the whole idea of altering the prompt
> and stick any warnings inside kde, gnome, and xfce.  I can't say I
> would want my fedora installations to warn me about using root though.

FWIW, the only reason I change my prompt is so that when I have multiple
terminal sessions open, some root, some non-, I can more easily
distinguish between them.  I found that the # wasn't enough to catch my
eye.  It doesn't really serve as a warning to me that I'm in a root
session, it's more just an identifier.

--
Fix it! Fix it! Fix it! Fix it! Fix it! Fix it!... Fix it! Fix it! Fix
it!

--Fry
  Futurama - "A Clone of My Own"