Fedora Extras Status - WAS: Re: Self-Introduction: Jonathan Leighton

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Tue Dec 14 08:05:24 UTC 2004

> Richard's question is a fair and reasonable inquiry.  And we're all
> (especially those of us submitting packages) aware that Warren's message
> clearly says "don't ask for ETA."
>
> Could someone @redhat.com please give us an idea of how things are
> progressing with FE?  Will we see a FE "release" before the new year?
>
> - Ed "impatiently awaiting the new FE, whatever it is" Hill

Hi,
 I'm not @redhat.com but I'm involved in the process in various ways.
Mostly by being annoying and sysadminning certain servers :)

Here is a status report:
- cristian gafton, the technical lead of the fedora project, is working
on making the build system 'just work'. He's trying to get it right and
happy so things do what we expect. He tends to be less talkative than a
lot of people might want but he's doing a lot of head down work that,
quite frankly, is painfully complex to do right.

- cvs is open, commits are occurring, websites are up and people are
fixing up packages. It's a bright new day that's vaguely foggy. :)

- many of the packages have been built and a pre-extras repository will
probably be unleashed on the unwitting public very soon. (mark my words)

- the other infrastructure bits that need to be ready first:
  - 'extras' gpg key for signing packages needs to be made
  - bugzilla needs to know about extras and about the package owners
  - extras needs to be dealt with vis-a-vis the mirroring systems
  - some release timing issues need to get worked out.

There is a smallish group of not-terribly-talkative people working on
these problems and, believe it or not, they're making some headway.

I'll post more as I know it/come across it. And I'll post more and a
little more detail soon.

Hope this helps.

-sv