fedora-d-rh] Re: Fedora Extras, Fedora Core CVS Open!

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 07:58:20 UTC 2004

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 02:26:20 -0500 (EST), R P Herrold
<herrold at owlriver.com> wrote:
> Bottom line: no buildsystem -- not yet a fair question to
> expect a yes or no on.

I think its perfectly fair to ask a vocal dissenting voice to commit
to attempting to use whatever the first presented process is for at
least one package... to work within the process instead of continuing
to stand outside of the process and comment.  I want every packager
who has been vocal about the flaws in the fedora.us process to stand
up and pledge they will atleast attempt to work inside the new process
contributing atleast ONE package as soon as its possible, instead of
waiting for the system to be perfect.

> Why a closed design cathedral approach?

This is a red herring... how quickly to do an initial release has
nothing to do with a cathedral approach. I think both Tiemmann and
Gafton have tried to comment about where the delay has been in terms
of internal Red Hat changes that have absolutely nothing to do with
the contributor facing bits. I have no doubt that the build scripts
will be made available and feedback will be incorporated. And Gafton
has made this intention clear in a post to this very list. He's
hacking something together to make publicly available for review
sooner rather than later now that the cvs server is up and running.  I
thought he was pretty clear about that.

-jef