FreeTDS

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Mon Dec 20 12:17:05 UTC 2004

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 12:51:22 +0100, Stefan Sonnenberg-Carstens wrote:

> You said that FC3 "comes" with unixODBC.
> In fact, I did a clean install, and it does not.
> I was in the need to install it manually.

You misread my comment. Let's see:

> >>%package unixodbc
> >>Requires: freetds = %{version}, unixODBC >= 2.2.9
> >>

> >Fedora Core 3 includes unixODBC 2.2.9, the dependency on libodbcinst.so.1
> >is automatic, so the explicit dependency on a package called
> >unixODBC doesn't add any value. Be careful with "explicit Requires".
> >If Fedora Core 4 moved libodbcinst.so.1 into a package with a different
> >name, this dependency would break.

Rephrased: In Fedora Core 3, unixODBC 2.2.9 is included, even it it
may not be installed by default. That means, the version of unixODBC
available in FC3 is sufficient for your requirements. When your
package is built, it will include an automatic dependency on
libodbcinst.so.1, which will cause package tools to select the package
that provides libodbcinst.so.1. No need to specify an explicit
dependency on a fixed package name and a minimal version which is
included in FC3 anyway. [Remainder of my comment unchanged]

HTH