mozilla policies...

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Fri Dec 31 13:50:45 UTC 2004

On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 12:54:55PM +0100, Arnaud Abélard wrote:
> Unless i'm missing something, it sounds like the Mozilla Foundation is
> asking for a little too much from the packagers...

Apache asks much the same. Thats why we ship httpd. Fedora likewise asks much
the same. Without that kind of control trademarks mean nothing and a poor
distributor can really damage a products reputation.

It is a pain sometimes - eg the Firefox people appear to be ignoring the Welsh
language request bug for months so technically I'd have to rename Firefox in
order to make it useful in this part of the world, but thats a failure of the
Firefox bug management not of the trademark policy.

It is also _very_ hard to write a sane trademark policy in the open source
world. The Fedora one took a lot of doing and isn't perfect. The Gnome people
have been failing for about four years to write a workable trademark policy,
but in the end shipped the logo in question as part of GPL packages so probably
made it irrelevant.

See::

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=366523