why doesn't yum cache anything?

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Fri Dec 31 16:51:33 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-30 at 22:50 -0800, Jamie Zawinski wrote:
> Sean Middleditch wrote:
> >
> > The problem you're perceiving (slow operation as yum starts up) isn't at
> > all due to lack of caching, but perhaps very inefficient handling of the
> > cache - a lot of data has to be parsed and such, when it could perhaps
> > be stored in a more ready-to-process format.
>
> It takes *nearly a minute* to do that!  I'm on a 2GHz machine.
> If it's not hitting the net, what's it doing, raytracing?

are you using mirrorlists or are you using baseurls?

look in your *.repo files.

if you're using mirrorlists then it IS hitting the net. A point of some
contention. Some folks think I shouldn't hit the net to check to see if
the mirrorlists exists, others don't want yum to continue if the
mirrorlists are invalid.

If you'd like to check to see how much of it is mirrorlists download
simply comment out the mirrorlist line in your *.repo files
in /etc/yum.repo.d/ and uncomment the baseurl lines.

then time it.

-sv