Fedora Core 2 XFree86 plans, and XFree86 4.4.0 plans, etc.

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Sun Feb 1 08:40:24 UTC 2004

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Pekka Pietikainen wrote:

>> >RHL9 ok, on the proviso that someone checks that codebase out and makes
>> >sure its safe.
>>
>> Alan's the only one I know with VIA EPIA hardware off the top of
>> my mind.  ;o)   Oh, also, even if the kernel doesn't have the
>> support, the driver should work 2D only, so X isn't dependant on
>> the kernel support being there for driver operation, just for
>> DRI.  (I suspect you know that, but others reading are likely not
>> to.)
>
>And asking people to just run a FC1 kernel on their RH9 box if they
>absolutely must have 3D on their EPIA isn't completely unreasonable either.
>Apart from the gcc32 dependancy (--nodeps or a fake package providing a
>handy symlink :-) ) they work just fine (I do this to get aironets that have
>visited a windows box and thus have received an updated firmware that
>doesn't work with older linux drivers to work)

Since the driver functions even when DRI isn't available, while I
would prefer the kernel would be released beforehand with via
support, it wouldn't hold me up.  However, the likelyhood of a
new kernel coming out with via DRM support sooner than a new
XFree86 coming out with the driver is much higher.  ;o)