session setup error with cifs

Richard ee21rh at eim.surrey.ac.uk
Sun Feb 1 19:47:38 UTC 2004

Since smbfs has been removed from the 2.6.1 kernel, I could no longer
use smbfs and am forced to change to cifs. None of my shares on
different machines will mount.
I've changed my fstab to read "user=" from "username=" and "smbfs" to
"cifs" - but still no mounting.
I'm all upgraded against development since today.

#mount /mnt/hughsie/albums/

Message displayed on screen:
mount: block device //hughsie/albums is write-protected, mounting read-
only
mount: cannot mount block device //hughsie/albums read-only

Messages in /var/log/messages
Feb  1 19:32:02 hughsie-laptop kernel:  CIFS VFS: Send error in
SessSetup = -13
Feb  1 19:32:02 hughsie-laptop kernel:  CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/
return code = -13
Feb  1 19:32:03 hughsie-laptop kernel:  CIFS VFS: Send error in
SessSetup = -13
Feb  1 19:32:03 hughsie-laptop kernel:  CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/
return code = -13

Entry in /etc/fstab on laptop:
//hughsie/albums /mnt/hughsie/albums cifs noauto,rw,user=lan,
password=secret 0 0

Entry in /etc/samba/smb.conf on server:
[albums]
 comment = Albums
 path = /mnt/data/albums
 writeable = yes

 I need to use this share - and I the only way I can mount it is to use
2.6.1-1.47 with smbfs.
Return code = -13 is hardly usefull! Google didn't seem to help, but the
samba website suggested I should have a mount.cifs in /sbin - and an
associated manpage.

Any ideas - thanks for any input.

  Hughsie