Corporate pressure

André Kelpe fs111 at web.de
Mon Feb 2 13:58:40 UTC 2004

Am Mo, den 02.02.2004 schrieb david paeme um 14:03:

> wouldn't it be a good idea to include some kind of license acceptance
> mechanism into apt/yum/rpm?
>
> for example, to get adobe acrobat to install, the user would get a
> prompt to accept the adobe license, which he can (and the software
> installs), or not (so, it doesn't install...).
>
> software vendors will probably like this, because they can the user to
> accept their license, and not having people install the software without
> doing that.

Well it is not a good idea to remove the possibility of using
yum/apt/rpm in batch mode. Let me give you an example: Maybe there is an
critical Bug in Adobe's Acrobat Reader or Macromedia's flash and you
keep your System up 2 date via a cron job every night. This job will
always fail and no updates will be installed because no one clicked on
"I Agree", "OK" etc. I think it would be better to prompt for OK the
first time a programm is started, so that you could install, and update
it without any problems and agree to their terms before you can use it.
Adobe uses this techinque in their SVG-Plugin for Mozilla an I think it
is a good way to manage it.

André