[A-Z]* oddities

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Tue Feb 3 08:21:00 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha wrote:

>Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 18:12:15 +0000
>From: Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha <strange at nsk.no-ip.org>
>To: fedora-devel-list at redhat.com
>Subject: [A-Z]* oddities
>

>Hi,
>
>On fedora devel I get the following unexpected behaviour:

Welcome to internationalization (I hate saying i18n, it just
seems so non-internationalized an abbreviation).  Different
locales have different language sorting rules depending on the
locale in question.

My assumption is that you're expecting a specific collation order
such as the legacy "C" or "POSIX" sorting rules, however you're
not using that locale and instead are getting sorting which is
locale dependant?

If so, decide which collation you want, and set LC_COLLATE to
that.  For example, in my .bashrc I have:

# Get rid of UTF-8 performance loss.
export LANG=en_US
# Sort stuff the sane oldschool UNIX way
export LC_COLLATE=C

If none of this advice changes anything or helps your problem,
then it is probably some other issue, and perhaps someone can
help you on fedora-list.  ;o)