meta-repository idea (was Re: mplayer vs. xine)

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Tue Feb 3 12:39:40 UTC 2004

> - Do we really want users to download all the src.rpm data each time? Most
> users don't do anything with that information so it sucks up bandwidth for
> no purpose. Maybe the src.rpm file information should be separated to
> different files?

the src rpms stuff are more of a <Shrug>. I got a bunch of complaints
about yum's src.rpm header.info file being separate from the primary
header.info so I figured that might help resolve it.

> - Any particular reason for using gzip instead of bzip2? The difference
> can be huge, especially for other.xml:

Yah - bzip2 isn't everywhere - gzip is.
Specifically bzip2 isn't in python 2.2 - you need an external module
that's not in fedora core 1.

I thought DV had a complaint about bzip2 as well, but I'm not positive
of that.
-sv