I was wondering why fedora has choosen yum over apt-get

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Tue Feb 10 18:38:06 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 10:29 -0800, Shahms King wrote:
> I cannot speak for Fedora, but I can say that from my experiences using
> both apt-rpm and yum I have found yum to be much more "reasonable".  I
> suspect that the reason for this is that yum is more forgiving of minor
> inconsistencies than is apt, which may be good or bad, depending on your
> position.  Yum, unlike apt, will proceed with an upgrade or install even
> if a completely unrelated package is slightly out-of-whack.

So it is better to have a potentially unstable system?

> For example, I ran into problems relating to the gnome-libs package a
> while back.  Apt was completely unable to resolve the issues (mostly
> because of weird dependency issues).

Or packages without enough Q/A? Evidently their dependencies were not
properly declared.

> database is not in a consistent state).  You can argue that apt's
> behavior is correct, but that correctness makes it completely useless in
> many real-world situations.

Unmanageable systems too. The problem is with the packages (and they
should be fixed) not with apt.

> Many packaging problems require "creative" (albeit temporary) solutions
> until the upstream packages are fixed.

Install src.rpm, correct the spec. It's usually very easy.

>   My tools should not get in my
> way.  This is UNIX, my tools are supposed to do what I say, even if they
> think I'm off my rocker.  There's a reason RPM lets you do stupid things
> like "--force" and "--nodeps".  I have many more examples of apt getting
> in my way where yum (by not trying to be as smart) worked.  Yum never
> asks me to remove packages when I say "install" or "update".

Yet you recur to "creative" solutions?

Rui

+ So let's do it...?