YUM's shortcomings

Jean Francois Martinez jfm512 at free.fr
Sun Feb 15 09:22:12 UTC 2004

Yum has for now two serious shortcomings

1) It has no browser, even a curses based one.  You cannot, like
with apt or urpmi, browse what is available,  select what you are
interested in and have it installed

2) It does not deal with removable media.   Unlike what happens
with apt or urpmi it will not prompt you for the CD containing
what you need.  End result is that, since I have ADSL I often
end downloading packages I have on CD and I am not happy about it.
Copying everything on hard
disk is a possibility but there are still plenty of boxes with
5 to 10 G disks where using 20% or more of disk space for keeping
packages is not an option.  And plenty of people who have huge disks
(80g or more) and who are psychogically disturbed about keeping whole
distros on disk.

The problem of the huge download of headers is a PITA who only happens
once.  The two problems I mentionned happen every day.

Atre there any plans to fix them?

--
Jean Francois Martinez <jfm512 at free.fr>