Fixing the numlock problem

Dax Kelson dax at gurulabs.com
Mon Feb 16 20:43:17 UTC 2004

As I mentioned earlier (and got no responses on). SUSE does the right
thing in respect to the numlock key. The default behavior on SUSE is to
follow the BIOS.

To check the BIOS setting, SUSE use the command hwinfo. I'm wondering if
that functionality could be added to kudzu? Both hwinfo and kudzu are
GPL.

The source can be obtained here:

ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/9.0/suse/src/hwinfo-7.30-32.src.rpm

Here is how it is pieced together:

/etc/sysconfig/keyboard
:::::::::::
#
# NumLock on? ("yes" or "no" or empty or "bios" for BIOS setting)
KBD_NUMLOCK="bios"
:::::::::::

/etc/init.d/kbd
:::::::::::
elif test "$KBD_NUMLOCK" = "bios"; then
                /usr/sbin/hwinfo --bios|grep -q 'Num Lock: on'
:::::::::::

I'm wondering if that functionality could be added to kudzu? Both hwinfo
and kudzu are GPL.

The source can be obtained here:

ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/9.0/suse/src/hwinfo-7.30-32.src.rpm

Incidentally, on my system 'hwinfo --bios' produces the following
output:

01: None 00.0: 10105 BIOS
  [Created at bios.92]
  Unique ID: rdCR.lZF+r4EgHp4
  Hardware Class: bios
  BIOS Keyboard LED Status:
    Scroll Lock: off
    Num Lock: on
    Caps Lock: off
  Serial Port 0: 0x3f8
  Parallel Port 0: 0x378
  Base Memory: 639k
  PnP BIOS: @@@0000
  MP spec rev 1.4 info:
    OEM id: "DELL"
    Product id: "Dim 4600"
    1 CPUs (0 disabled)
  SMBIOS Version: 2.3
  BIOS Info:
    Vendor: "Dell Computer Corporation"
    Version: "A03"
    Date: "07/21/2003"
    Features: 001b00003c29de80 00000317
      PCI supported
      PnP supported
      APM supported
      BIOS flashable
      BIOS shadowing allowed
      ESCD supported
      CD boot supported
      Selectable boot supported
      EDD spec supported
      ACPI supported
      USB Legacy supported
      AGP supported
      LS-120 boot supported
      BIOS Boot Spec supported
  System Info:
    Manufacturer: "Dell Computer Corporation"
    Product: "Dimension 4600"
    Serial: "7L4YF31"
    Wake-up: 0x06 (Power Switch)
  Board Info:
    Manufacturer: "Dell Computer Corp."
    Product: "02Y832"
    Serial: "..CN4811136F01W1."
  Chassis Info:
    Manufacturer: "Dell Computer Corporation"
    Type: 0x06 (Mini Tower)
  Processor Info:
    Processor Socket: "Microprocessor" (ZIF Socket)
    Processor Manufacturer: "Intel"
    Voltage: 1.1 V
    External Clock: 800
    Max. Speed: 3200
    Current Speed: 2800
  On Board Devices:
    Ethernet: "Intel Pro 100 VE Network Connection"
  On Board Devices:
    Sound: "AC'97 Audio Controller"
  OEM Strings:
    www.dell.com
  Language Info:
    Languages: en|US|iso8859-1
    Current: en|US|iso8859-1
  Physical Memory Array:
    Max. Size: 4 GB (No Error Correction)
  Memory Device:
    Location: "CHANNEL A DIMM 0"
    Size: 256 MB
    Type: 64 bits, Syncronous SDRAM, DIMM
    Speed: 400 MHz  Memory Device:
    Location: "CHANNEL B DIMM 0"
    Size: 256 MB
    Type: 64 bits, Syncronous SDRAM, DIMM
    Speed: 400 MHz  Memory Device:
    Location: "CHANNEL A DIMM 1"
    Size: No Memory Installed
  Memory Device:
    Location: "CHANNEL B DIMM 1"
    Size: No Memory Installed
  Config Status: cfg=no, avail=yes, need=no