Athlon Incompatible Packages

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Tue Feb 24 08:32:01 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 06:30, Ivan Gyurdiev wrote:
> Charles R. Anderson wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 12:09:01AM -0500, Ivan Gyurdiev wrote:
> >
> >>I think you're avoiding my question, which is whether this is a bug or
> >>not. It seems to me though, that this is a bug... and all bugs have to
> >>be fixed, correct? As far as the real issues go, I'll get to those
> >>too... - I have 67 additional packages that will not build on fedora.
> >

> > It is not a bug.  rpmbuild --rebuild --target=i386.
>
> But shouldn't the athlon arch be compatible with 386?
> In which case shouldn't the packages also allow athlon?
> Excuse my total ignorance on this... If in fact, the packages in
> question will not work correctly on athlon, and fedora is unwilling to
> support athlon, then I can see how this is not a bug.

It's not a bug because Red Hat doesn't consider "you should be able to
rebuild any package as you wish" as a feature.  They provide binary RPMS
so you can install the actual distro easily, and source RPMS because
they sort of have to but also because they want you to be able to look
at how the binaries are made.

What they, AFAIK, have never done, is told us to rebuild src.rpm's for
different architectures if we feel like it.  IIRC they actually never
advertise to rebuild their src.rpm's as they are.

So, if you want to follow through your reasoning on the matter, it is in
fact not a bug, because "being able to rebuild any package on any arch"
is not a feature.  All the packages already work very well on athlon !

Anyways, beside the fact that we just established it really is not a
bug, it really doesn't help to rebuild those packages for athlon.  What
do you actually want to achieve ? If you really want a completely
rebuilt system, install gentoo, not Red Hat/Fedora.  As soon as you
install a complete set of rebuilt packages anyway, you won't have a Red
Hat/Fedora system anymore anyway.

Thomas

I've got ladyfingers baby
I've got kidgloves