Fedora Core 2 Distribution Size

Jon Atkinson jonathana at cleanstick.org
Fri Jan 2 18:56:40 UTC 2004

I think that it's not so much the size of the distribution (the more
software that is 'distribution certified' [included] the better,
right?), but the way that software is arranged on the disc images. It
would be nice to see the base system, kernel, X and gnome on the first
disc, with KDE, OpenOffice etc on disc 2, other software on disc 3.

This would eliminate a common problem I've had where I select my install
options, and I have to download and burn the whole third disc ISO just
so anaconda can fetch a single RPM from that disc. Very annoying, and a
waste of bandwidth :-/

It would be nice, when Fedora has matured a little (FC3/4?) to see a
higher level of support and promotion of the FTP install feature. I know
anaconda does support FTP installs, but there is very little in the way
of (obvious) documentation of this feature, and from what I've heard and
personal experience it is a little flaky. I am an ex-Debian user and I
liked the way I could burn a 50mb ISO and run the installer then fetch
packages from a local mirror. I know not everyone has DSL access, but a
large and growing number of people do, and I think it may soon be time
to rethink the ISO distribution model.

I'd really like to hear what everyone thinks about this, it's been
bugging me for a while now :-)

--Jon Atkinson