Fedora Core 2 Distribution Size

Jef Spaleta jspaleta at princeton.edu
Fri Jan 2 19:29:27 UTC 2004

Jon Atkinson wrote:
> It would be nice, when Fedora has matured a little (FC3/4?) to see a
> higher level of support and promotion of the FTP install feature. I
> know anaconda does support FTP installs, but there is very little in
> the way of (obvious) documentation of this feature, and from what I've
> heard and personal experience it is a little flaky. I am an ex-Debian
> user and I liked the way I could burn a 50mb ISO and run the
> installer then fetch packages from a local mirror.

boot.iso image exists. Anaconda supports ftp, http, nfs installs...and
as for obvious documentation....fedora core still doesn't have an
install guide at all...so there is no 'obvious' documentation on a
number of significant install issues. Though the rhl9 install guide
covers most of them adequately. Feel free to get involved in the Fedora
Documentation Project. http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/docs/
Other than having an install guide for people to ignore...im not sure
what else you have in mind in terms of 'obvius' documentation.

Personal experience...and things you have heard...are anecdotal. My ftp
and http installs work..swimmingly. Shall I assume it works perfectly
for everyone else...nope. But saying your problems and the problems you
heard about are specifically issues with anaconda is a bit naive.
Pointing out bugreports in bugzilla on the issue, is marginally less
naive.

-jef"off to do an ftp install using boot.iso right now"spaleta