Fedora Core 2 Distribution Size - The separated OS

Alexey Eremenko al305472 at hotmail.co.il
Sun Jan 4 22:08:31 UTC 2004

well... somebody said, that it can't be devided....

But - FC1 have a lot of development tools right on the CD, which I believe is wrong.

My suggestion - is have have product division like in Microsoft - or Lindows.com

They have -

1) OS (kernel, GUI, all the basic things, basic text and image editors) - this everyone needs

2) Office (OpenOffice can be separated, but because it's small enough - it won't be good)

MS Office and Lindows Office is separated - because about HALF of the home users doesn't use Office at all...

3) MS Visual Studio for Developers (And this part in FC1 take a LOT of space...) - This must include KDevelop, other IDEs, some source code, tutorials, compilers, programming documentation, ...

Lindows doesn't have an analogue for that (as I know)

4) Plus+! (multimedia enchacements, and eye-candy's for their OSes - something FC1 lacks totally with few exceptions, like the Marble Desktop Theme in KDE, and a few plug-ins for XMMS)

In Windows XP the Plus! gives me: many desktop backgrounds, MP3 to WMA audio converter,

Windows Media Player skins, and visualizations, 3 games (2 of which are 3D), 8 beautyful Direct3D screensavers, and 4 Desktop themes.

I would be VERY happy if such Plus! project would exist for FC Linux as well... - because it will REALLY enchance FC Linux in home user's eyes...

Really slick OpenGL Open-Source screen-savers can be put there: http://theopencd.sunsite.dk/mirrors.php

the Marble KDE Desktop theme to be moved there, some 3D games like TuxRacer should move from the OS to FC Plus!, and maybe well also add a few ogg-vorbis compression utilities that way. Actually a lot of multimedia stuff can migrate to FC Plus!, AND many new stuuf must be added. Note: that it sometimes better to leave a lot of space free on the Plus CD, than put low-quality stuff there.

So that way the OS will take only 2 CDs, and the developers will only need the FC and FedoraDevbeloper CDs, while home user will need only FC, and FedoraPlus! CDs. This style is very benefical.

Hotmail.co.il - Powered by IBM eServer