Fedora Core 2 Distribution Size - The separated OS

Thomas Munck Steenholdt tmus at get2net.dk
Mon Jan 5 13:19:08 UTC 2004

> On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 01:43:34PM +0100, Thomas Munck Steenholdt wrote:
>> The only point, as I see it, is the matter of media, which IMHO should
>> be
>> solved by providing a DVD .iso file in addition to the CD .isos... One
>> disc
>> for everything!!!
>
> Someone posted a script to generate a DVD iso from the others I believe.
>
> There are good reasons for trying to get a base setup down to 1 or 2 CD's
> (and for
> workstation with basic languages it is btw in FC1). Firstly if you have a
> really dodgy
> CD drive then doing a minimal install of CD then using yum to pull the
> rest off another
> box is a lifesaver. Secondly for plenty of people 3 CD's is a lot of date,
> and a great
> way to exceed broadband limits in many places if they have broadband.
>

> Alan

You're right... But I would personally prefer if packages were rearranged
on the CD's rather than making different "products" out of them.
Mayby thats all a matter of definition of "product", but i really like to
have it all in one big package.
Perhaps packages could be rearranged so that a personal system could be
installed off CD 1 - no need for the other CDs... Making CD2 bootable too,
could allow a server installation to be carried out from that with no need
for other CDs. etc etc etc...
The entire installation would then be exactly as it is today, only you
could bo with only a subset of the discs!

And if anyone's interested, the DVD build script, that Chris Kloiber made
is available here:
ftp://people.redhat.com/ckloiber/mkdvdiso.sh

Thomas