Ximian rug/red-carpet vs up2date

Toshio toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Mon Jan 5 15:28:16 UTC 2004

After using Ximian's rug/red-carpet programs, I've become frustrated
with up2date's lack of certain features.

Available in rug:
* Works with all packages available in remote repositories, not just
installed ones.
* Daemon process (rcd) which does the work -- rug/red-carpet are text
and graphical front ends.  This allows:
  - Periodic caching of repository header information w/out user
interaction.
  - Package installation as trusted, non-root users.
  - Over the network upgrades
* Ability to browse by repository.  This allows: select channel
unstable.  Upgrade one package.  Deselect channel unstable.  Do an
upgrade-all to update the rest of your packages from the stable
repository.
* Ability to run informational queries concurrently with install
operations.

Rug/red-carpet also seems subjectively faster than yum/up2date to me.  A
little of this comes from the daemon caching headers but there's also a
big difference in dependency calculation/install speed.  I haven't
peeked under the hood of yum and rcd yet so I can't say why that is.

Maybe a port of rcd to use yum on the server side would be possible?
(Would it be worth the effort?)
--
Toshio <toshio at tiki-lounge.com>