default yum configuration for Legacy

nathan r. hruby nhruby at uga.edu
Tue Jan 6 15:43:04 UTC 2004

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Charles R. Anderson wrote:

> Should the yum service default to on or off?
> Should the yum.conf exclude kernels by default?
>
> I think auto updates should be off by default, and kernels should be
> excluded by default, just as it is in up2date.
>
> What are people's opinions on this?

What I do is leave the service on and change the cron job to do a yum list
to inform people of updates so they are aware of them being there.  I also
leave a exclude line for kernels commented out in the yum.conf that I ship
for campus.

Yes, seth will say this doesn't scale and he's right, luckily I don't get
root's mail for all of the linux boxes on campus :)

-n
nathan hruby <nhruby at uga.edu>
uga enterprise information technology services
production systems support
metaphysically wrinkle-free