lilo -R equivalent in grub?

Thomas Dodd ted at cypress.com
Tue Jan 6 18:48:36 UTC 2004

Casey Price wrote:
>>Does GRUB have anything similar to lilo's -R?  This is a totally useful
>>function and I would really like to avoid using lilo.
>

> I know at the GRUB bootscreen, you can press 'e' and modify the parameters
> for a one time only type of thing if thats what you mean. Then you just
> press 'b' to boot using those settings

That requires intervention in the boot process. 'lilo -R' sets a one
time default before you shutdown. That allows remote testing where you
don't have access to the console at boot. If the kernel fails it can be
rebooted automatically (or any lunk can hit reset) and it gets the old
default next boot.

The --once option is a start, but now where near as easy to use yet.
A wrapper or something else is needed. perhaps integrating it into
reboot (instead of it being a symlink to halt) would work? So 'reboot -d
<label>' would detect lilo/grub and perform the correct operation to
make it a one time default. I actually did that back around RHL6.1, a
script to reboot using a give label with lilo (no grub yet).

	-Thomas