Cleaning up "Preferred Applications" & Desktop Consistency

Jonathan Blandford jrb at redhat.com
Wed Jan 7 08:29:13 UTC 2004

[ I somehow got trimmed from the CC line and I missed this message. ]

Havoc Pennington <hp at redhat.com> writes:

> On Wed, 2003-12-31 at 02:01, Jonathan Blandford wrote:
> > We've gone back and forth on this on the GNOME/freedesktop lists, and
> > the consensus is that things like preferred applications really isn't
> > part of the MIME system.
>
> In deciding that, did you come to some decision on how preferred
> applications should be done?

For the short term, just keys in GConf in GNOME.  I don't think we
really have any big master plan here.

> If you have an HTML file, do you use the text/html association or the
> preferred web browser? If changing my preferred web browser, does the
> text/html association also get updated?

No.  The two are handled separately and are subtly different.  A
web-browser is more of a 'protocol' viewer than a file-type viewer.
Changing the default text/html handler to an HTML editor is a reasonable
task, and shouldn't change my web browser.

Thanks,
-Jonathan