RPM submission procedure

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Wed Jan 7 23:34:22 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 05:37:58PM -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Alan Cox <alan at redhat.com>:
> > >
> > > Pointer?
> >
> > google:dag wieers 8)
> >
> > http://dag.wieers.com
>
> I found it, and then I found the ring he's part of (ATrpms, dag, FreshRPMS
> and newrpms).

This alliance is enlargening, and represents the Bazaar in contrast to
fedora.us' Cathedral ;)

We believe in diversity and while we all joined fedora.us a year ago,
believing the project would serve as a coordinating entity, we were
finally driven away by the curse set by the current project's
leadership towards a monoculture. fedora.us' leadership only recently
proclaimed that rejecting cooperation with us back then and now is a
good thing.

My suggestion to you would be to setup your own repository. It is
quite easy, and I can help out in PM. One of ATrpms' tasks is to
enforce people to create their own repos in a loosly coordinated repo
maintainer forum.

> Hmmm....
>
> Perhaps these people should *be* Fedora extras?  Looks to me like the
> community has already evolved a rather well-functioning set of apt
> repositories. and I like the no-single-point-of-failure aspect of what
> they're doing.

Thanks!

> Is there some reason for Fedora not to farm out the extras job to
> people who seem already to be doing it competently?

Fedora is a merger of Red Hat Linux and fedora.us, carrying even
fedora.us' name. Since fedora.us rejected and rejects cooperation on
the grounds of "coordination being far too difficult and incurring
much greater overhead", some of this may have colored off on the
merged Fedora project.

Personally I think these problems are induced by fedora.us'
leadership. I believe most of the other fedora.us' folks are
openminded towards interrepository communication and
coordination. Maybe a change in leadership will unblock the rejection
attitude and brings us further along. But this is something fedora.us
or Fedora needs to resolve internally.

Anyway the current setup of heretic repos is working quite
well. Become a heretic yourself today! ;)
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de