rpmlint on Fedora Core development rpms

Florian La Roche laroche at redhat.com
Thu Jan 8 13:55:22 UTC 2004

> 1) Some have stated that they truly feel strict documented standards
> that fedora.us finds important simply DO NOT MATTER.  They rather
> continue doing things the old way: Few strict standards and basically do
> whatever seems to work.  This thankfully is a minority position.

I have put together a quick hack to run "rpmlint" on the current
Fedora Core development rpms. I found a "%__mkfontdir" in OpenOffice
and a "$RPM_BUILD_ROOT" in the octave rpm and have filed bugzilla
reports on those two.

Apart from that it shows some further packaging errors, but they
are mostly harmless. I don't think any other things warrent bugzilla
reports, as that uses up more resources than is beneficial on the
results side.

Feel free to use my current rpm to check additional rpm repositories
or work on adding better config setting for rpmlint to make it more
meaningful for FC2. Otherwise this should be a 2 days job for someone
to add cleanup patches and recompile rpms, but not engage all
individual rpm packagers with...

For people reading until now the url is http://people.redhat.com/laroche/rpmlint*
with the src.rpm and the output of Fedora from a few days ago.
(I have not yet looked at the fedora.us rpmlint rpm, just saw
that repo also has one...)

greetings,

Florian La Roche