Request for Comments: updating RPMs using binary deltas.

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Thu Jan 8 21:44:00 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 16:19, Alan Cox wrote:

> Problem 3:  Server resources. The rsync computation clobbers the server
> compared to the overhead of just spewing bits.

It seems to me that the solution to this is to precompute the block
checksums on the server.  We'd have an command like
"rsync --gen-checksums FILE1" which would create a FILE1.rsync-checksums
file that the server could read.  If you wanted to do it recursively for
a whole tree, just rsync -r --gen-checksums /path/to/dir.

Given a beefy enough server that can keep all the relevant files in the
dentry cache, I would think that would take care of most of the
overhead...