repository- & disttag order (was: Fedora Extras)

Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano nando at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Fri Jan 9 01:47:30 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 08:17, Enrico Scholz wrote:
> warren at togami.com (Warren Togami) writes:
> > ** Fully numeric disstags have been favored by RH and fedora.us leadership
> >    in past discussions, but this requires more discussion.
> > ** reptag will be necessary for all other repositories.  The current
> >    proposal is attaching it at the end of %{release}.
>
> reptag at the end causes ambiguities. You can not say if '1.1.1.foo'
> means versions 1.1 for FC1, or if it means version 1 for FC1.1.
>
> repotag before disttag is the only way which makes sense; see
>
>   http://www.fedora.us/pipermail/fedora-devel/2003-December/002478.html

You're right. Sounds good. And additionally it makes numeric
distribution tags readable (not just a number amongst other numbers but
separated from the rest by the repository tag - the "and which of these
numbers is the disttag?" question was one of my dislikes of the purely
numeric scheme).

-- Fernando