Wish list for Fedora Core 2

Tue Jan 13 16:19:08 UTC 2004

Le mar 13/01/2004 à 16:54, Shahms King a écrit :
> > > 3) Num Lock was not turned on.
> >
> > The BIOS usually controls this, not Linux in my experience.
> >
> > The login screen already warns if Caps Lock is on.  Perhaps it can
> > warn if Num Lock is off too.
>
> Yick! Some of us don't have a Num Lock and such a warning would be
> really, really annoying.

And anyway this warning is bad security-wise. And it's stupid - it
implies caps are bad for passwords when they are no worse than any other
character.

Much better to add a message on login failure asking to check caps and
numlock status - with maybe sample drawings/animations of where those
keys are usually located and what symbols are printed on them. On most
euro keyboards there is no "caps lock" label printed anywhere near the
caps key.

The current warning is cryptic and confusing for a non-technical user.

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Mailhot