up2date problems (use a mirror)

Dan Goodes dang at planetmirror.com
Tue Jan 13 23:21:48 UTC 2004

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Tyler larson wrote:

> [*] - The fact that a server under load would transmit corrupted data is
> disturbing in itself. The problem's not the network: TCP give you the
> right data, or no data at all. It's either the client (that works fine
> with other mirrors, BTW) or the server. I'm under the conviction that
> the issue should be investigated at least.

I am not an expert (IANAE?) but I imagine that the problem may lie in the
client - after a set idle timeout in up2date it seems to just drop the
connection to the server and move onto the next package. The resulting RPM
is obviously corrupt since it is incomplete. I am probably wrong there,
but that's what it seems like to me - I can't imagine apache (or whatever
download.fedora.redhat.com uses for HTTP) dropping a connection itself
simply because of high load .

Just my 2c.

-Dan