up2date problems (use a mirror)

Jim Cornette cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Jan 15 02:30:58 UTC 2004

Adrian Likins wrote:

>On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 04:18:02PM -0700, Tyler larson wrote:
>

>>For a long time, I've been having a whole lot of trouble downloading
>>updates. Files download *very* slowly and often arrive corrupted[*] (and
>>therefore fail GnuPG verification). Even downloading using a web browser
>>gave dismal results.
>>
>>I switched to a mirror, and everything works fine... better, in fact,
>>and more reliably than it ever did with RedHat's server.
>>
>>If any of you are having trouble with up2date or yum, I'd suggest
>>editing your /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources file and selecting a mirror from
>>the list [http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html] as a first
>>course of action.
>>
>>It might even be worth while to add some functionality to up2date to
>>download a list of mirrors and choose one (possibly interactively with
>>the user, CPAN-style) rather than always using RedHat. The general
>>public isn't going to know how to do all this manually. And if you
>>browse the fedora-list archives, you'll see that people are really
>>feeling the pain.
>>

>	client with mirror support should be hitting rawhide any
>time now...
>
>Adrian

After hunting through a lot of mirrors manually, this will be a great
feature. I hope it works to spread out the workload and prevent errors
with a great program.

This automation ought to be interesting to try out.

Jim

--
Tomorrow, this will be part of the unchangeable past but fortunately,
it can still be changed today.