perl and multilib considerations?

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Mon Jan 19 12:47:18 UTC 2004

Florian La Roche wrote:
>>Although please correct me if I am wrong.  It would be nice if this
>>"problem" would go away one day, but it is a really non-trivial problem.
>

> I thought Chip tried the last time to enable backwards compatibility,
> but it was an unknown how much would still break or needs rebuilding.
>
> Is it possible to add the perl version number automatically once
> you have files in /usr/lib/perl/5.8.x/?

I'm not sure what you meant by this question.

Similar to perl's directory-per-version behavior, I was equally unhappy
when Mozilla went from /usr/lib/mozilla to /usr/lib/mozilla-X.X sometime
around mozilla-0.9.  There were just so many complications introduced by
this change, like plugins at first not being read from the standardized
in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins.  Konqueror had to be modified for every
upgrade to point to the new /usr/lib/mozilla-X.X/plugins directory.
There were several other breakages too, some of which were only resolved
by FC1.

I wish we could just totally kill all instances where we use new
directory names for every version upgrade... but that is just my
personal opinion.

Warren