Yet another wish list

Leonard den Ottolander leonard at den.ottolander.nl
Thu Jan 22 16:54:56 UTC 2004

Hello Michael,

> libmhash.la is a libtool [meta] archive and is only used by GNU libtool or
> GNU ltdl, albeit not required.
> For linking shared objects you don't need them.

Ok. I wasn't really sure of that. Thanks for clearing that up.

> mhash provides the name libmhash and is closer to upstream naming.  Also,
> according to rpm search engines, many more distributors call the package
> mhash instead of libmhash. The software is called "mhash", and IMHO it is
> a bad habit to add a "lib" prefix to indicate it's a library. Packages
> should not be categorized via their package name. This doesn't add any
> value.

I guess we disagree here. I feel the mcrypt/libmcrypt is valid for
(lib)mhash as well and I wouldn't know how to distinguish better between
a library and a command line tool based on that library (which I hope
and expect to be developed some day) then by naming the library
lib<name>.

Bye,
Leonard.