FC 1 - Update to kernel 2.4.24 planned?

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Fri Jan 23 14:26:26 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 08:14, Gerhard Wiesinger wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Dave Jones wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 16:53, Gerhard Wiesinger wrote:
> > > Hello!
> > >
> > > Is an update to kernel 2.4.24 planned?
> >
> > No. I've outlined the reasons several times on the lists before.
> > Basically, most of the important bits in .23, .24 and .25pre are
> > backported already.
> >

> OK, I understand that, but are there any plan to forward integrate them
> into 2.4.25? (or newer)?

Not any time soon. It'll take at least an afternoons work to forward
port nptl and the likes (additionally,  rebasing the -ac patch on which
the FC1 kernel is based would be quite painful), for comparatively
little gain.
Right now that time is better spent trying to get FC2 out the door.

> Because it is much more easier to use a plain vanilla kernel than a kernel
> with 103 patches. (except patches from 2.6)

easier to use ?? even if we forward port to 2.4.25, you'd still have 99%
of the patches we currently have. The backports mostly live in their
own patch files like linux-2.4.23-selected-patches.patch

You'd lose maybe a half dozen or so patches at most.

> BTW: I'm having major tcp troubles with the latest kernel (TX
> performance), tested on 2 different network cards.

bugzilla it with as much info as you can please.

	Dave