Updating RPMs using binary deltas (demo)

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Tue Jan 27 12:20:56 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 11:59, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:
> > Your average is misleading since it doesn't take in account package size
> > and just the % of savings per each package.
>
> Really? Then what does
> Total RPM Size: 45140838   Total Delta Size: 16309380
>   Total Savings: 28831458    63.87% savings
> mean?

I was mislead by the term average, and thought the 63.87% were an
average of the savings per package (which is in fact circa 70% and quite
unreal). Ok, 64% is a big reduction indeed.

> > well, they're really not impressive.
> I would say that is a matter of opinion, and not of much interest. What
> matters is if such an implementation would generate real world bandwidth
> savings for people that can use those.

It must be proved flawless (preferably with more than an empiric test
throughout the historical updates, a real mathematical proof :)).

There's also the problem of the delta packages download server.
Will it have to wast disk space by maintaining all deltas? I don't know
how many mirrors will like that.

Rui

+ So let's do it...?