MySQL and PHP now OK together?

Tyler larson fedora-devel at tlarson.com
Wed Jan 28 21:38:22 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 14:00, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 01:51:20PM -0700, Dax Kelson wrote:
> > http://www.mysql.com/products/opensource-license.html
> >
> > "As a special exception, MySQL AB gives permission to distribute
> > derivative works that are formed with GPL-licensed MySQL software and
> > with software licensed under version 3.0 of the PHP license. You must
> > obey the GNU General Public License in all respects for all of the code
> > used other than code licensed under version 3.0 of the PHP license."
>
> That would still prevent that PHP being used to run non GPL scripts using
> other slightly conflicting free licenses. Personally I'm still trying to
> work out if you can mix the php + new mysql with apache even.
>
> Alan

Now, now, let's try to suppress any knee-jerk objections and look at
this rationally.

I have the feeling that this special exception was granted specifically
for our situation, where we're forced to use mysql 3 because we want to
use mod_php 4. It sounds like if any additional wording needs to be
worked into the agreement to make things legal, MySQL AB will be more
than willing to work with your lawyers make it happen so that we can
distribute MySQL 4. After all, they didn't take the effort to grant this
exception just for us all to ignore it. Whether or not they've been
responsive in this regard in the past is irrelevant: they've just shown
that they're now willing to work with us on this issue. Still, from what
I can tell, it all looks legal already.

Now, people still have to take care and only distribute Open Source PHP
apps if they're to be a derivative work of MySQL 4, but that's the
responsibility of the individual developer, not us. It's no different
than with any other software we distribute. It would be absurd for us to
*not* include MySQL 4 simply because someone *could potentially* use it
in violation of the license: that risk already exists with all our
software. Refusing to distribute GPL software in our distro simply
because it's still GPL is would be irrational. We just have to make sure
we're not packaging non-GPL PHP scripts (which, of course, we're not
doing anyway).

So with the licenses in order, is it too late to get MySQL 4 into FC2?