Fedora Core 2 XFree86 plans, and XFree86 4.4.0 plans, etc.

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Thu Jan 29 02:37:04 UTC 2004

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Dave Jones wrote:

> > If people can convince Dave Jones to put the VIA DRM into our FC
> > kernels and RHL 9 kernel, I'll likely add it to future XFree86
> > erratum for those OS releases also.  I've CC'd Dave for comment
> > (and Alan who wrote it, for good measure).  ;o)
>
>Before the impending mail flood arrives 8-)..
>FC1 kernel has this change in CVS (will be in the next update)

Great!

>RHL9 ok, on the proviso that someone checks that codebase out and makes
>sure its safe.

Alan's the only one I know with VIA EPIA hardware off the top of
my mind.  ;o)   Oh, also, even if the kernel doesn't have the
support, the driver should work 2D only, so X isn't dependant on
the kernel support being there for driver operation, just for
DRI.  (I suspect you know that, but others reading are likely not
to.)

>FC2 doesn't have the VIA DRI stuff merged yet it seems.

XFree86 side of things isn't merged yet, no.  I wanted to find
out if/when kernel side would be merged to get an idea how long
kernels might have been out there already before the X side shows
up, as past experience for adding DRI support to new hardware has
shown having kernel updates get it a week or more before an X
update arrives, lowers tech support questions.  ;o)

I've no specific timeline planned for it's inclusion, but it's on
my "plans a week or further away" TODO list, and I'll try to keep
everyone informed about progress.  I don't suspect it's any more
than an hour or so work to integrate, however buildsystem time,
etc. is the iffy part.  ;o)

Thanks for the update Dave.